On March 4, 1928 twenty-one people met at the McFadden Elementary School in Murfreesboro for the purpose of organizing the Westvue Baptist Church. The Church began as a mission work of the First Baptist Church of Murfreesboro. Several pastors served in the church until 1940. On Wednesday night, October 1, 1940 the Westvue congregation called Woodrow Medlock as pastor. He preached his first sermon as pastor, titled, "Go Forward" on Sunday night, Novemeber 3, 1940. At this time, there were fewer than fifty enrolled in Sunday School. On April 6, 1941, Bro. Medlock was appointed as Chairman of the Building Committee for a new parsonage which was built within a few weeks and paid for by the church in the next twelve months. The greater portion of this eight room house and basement was used for Sunday School space. The year 1947 saw the church double the size of the auditorium to accommodate the growing congregation. In 1948, the church purchased a building and three extra lots for the purpose of building a large tabernacle. November 30, 1949, brought the construction of the basement for the large Westvue auditorium. The first service in the new one thousand seat auditorium was conducted on April 12th, 1950.
A few years later, the Lord placed a burden upon the church to start an orphan home. Construction of the Good Shepherd Children's Home was started on October 11, 1961. The church gave the first money and then a corporation was formed. The home became a reality and has cared for numbers of precious boys and girls over the years. On February 7, 1962, the church voted to buy fourteen acres of land on Sanbyrn and Houston Drives in the Bellwood Community for the purpose of building a new facility. A vote was taken to sell the Westvue property to the Sword of the Lord Foundation of Wheaton, Illinois; which took possession on June 3, 1963. The following May over twelve hundred people came to the open house for the new building.
Bellwood Christian Academy was founded in 1972 offering grades K-12 using the A.C.E. curriculum. The school is housed in a single large buiding that contains both classrooms and a gymnasium.
In the early 1980's, Donald Williams served as pastor.
In 1984, James Avaritt returned to his home church as pastor of Bellwood Baptist Church; serving in that capacity until his failing health caused him to retire on September 12, 2010.
On August 15, 2010, the church voted to have Ron Brown to come as the new pastor of Bellwood Baptist Church. He preached his first sermon September 19, 2010 from Matt. 16:18 "The Perpetuity of the Church". He and his wife Sheryl are now enjoying the thrill of ministering to the dear people of Bellwood Baptist Church.
Bellwood Baptist Church located in Murfreesboro, Tennessee 37130
Bellwood Baptist Church
located in Murfreesboro, Tennessee 37130